Saturday, January 9, 2010

Resolution #4 - Get Back to the Gym

James and I have had a membership to the YMCA for all of 2008 and the later half of 2009 yet we go for a few weeks and then completely neglect it. I mean we don't even pretend to go. (At least we don't try to delude ourselves, right?) To make matters worse, my work has a work out "gym" and I barely even find the motivation to go there!

DEFENSE
• The YMCA location that we live closest to is too small for the number of members they have. After 6pm it is packed and during Jan - March (when everyone is working on their New Year's resolution) it is so packed that sometimes you can't even use the equipment that you want and that is annoying. Another annoying part of the gym is the lack of parking. They always have some kid events going on and even if the workout room isn't crowded the parking lot always is. (/weh)

• My work "gym" can barely be called that. They have 2 ellipticals and 2 treadmills, 3 bikes (I hate bikes), and a few weight machines. I'm not complaining because at least it is something but it basically makes working out during my lunch break impossible because a lot of people go to lunch at 11:30 (I go at 12) and take all the equipment. Then after work everyone else gets off at 5 and I don't get off until 5:30 so once again they beat me to all the good stuff. My only chance is to workout before work but that is unlikely since currently I can barely wake up in enough time to get to work as is. ***NOTE: That may change if I am successful with Resolution number 3! ***

Okay... now that I have my excuses out of my system I can get to business. Last time I tried to start working out again I really pushed myself thinking "I am young, I can handle it!" and I ended up with a hurt back and foot and 6 trips to a Chiropractor. From that I learned that I am still young and I can should be able to take a lot but I have really neglected my body since high school. I was very athletic in high school but after I graduated I didn't keep it up. I almost always start to go to the gym and go for 2-3 weeks and then stop going. I have lost weight before because of diets but I don't think I have ever went to the gym enough to lose weight. That is sad.

So I have to start slow. Not because I am a wuss but because I have basically neglected every muscle in my body for almost 10 years. My plan is to start January as cardio only. The first few times I will just walk (at an incline) on the treadmill then I can slowly move into jogging. After I get my cardio going a little I will through weights in the mix. My goal for mixing in weights in February.

I have heard a few times that working out first thing in the morning accelerates your metabolism. Does anyone know if this is true? If it helps at all? As we all know I am NOT a morning person so if I am going to lose sleep for something it better have some hella benefits!! :)

GAMEPLAN
I don't really have much of a game plan here other then making myself actually go to the gym. Here are a few things I could think of though:

• Goal is to workout 5 days a week.
• Go very light for the first month. I've been out of shape and out of the gym for a long time now. Also with my recent semi rapid weight gain I think my heart is under more stress. January = Cardio only.
• Get more intense for February. Look to one of my fitness magazines for workout plans that mix cardio and weights.

Official Start Date: Sunday, January 10th.

2 comments:

bev said...

Sorry I'm so behind in reading your blogs.... I haven't even signed in this week! But yes, working out in the morning warms up your body earlier, then combining that with a healthy breakfast will jump start your body's metabolism. Basically, by doing anything but the normal routine of wake up, shower, head straight to work... you're going to jumpstart metabolism because your body is MOVING and doing things. It warms up all those muscles and you start burning calories earlier. =)

keep at it!!! you're awesome! and i soooo admire your determination.

Stacy said...

ah okay! That morning stuff makes sense. What about breakfast, do you eat it before or after you workout? Or maybe eat something small like an apple before and then eat a real breakfast after?