Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My To-Do List Is Winning

Ahhhhhhh! I'm a little stressed!
Lately I feel like my to-do list is getting longer and longer but i'm not actually getting anything accomplished. I just had a four day weekend and going into it i had a plan to do so many things. Like clean the house, do some Christmas shopping, level my DnD character, plan our St Louis trip, put together a healthier eating plan (this one has been on the to-do list for over a month now!), read my book club book, blog, and put up the Christmas decorations. However, Sunday came along and i had accomplished pretty much nothing. I found myself asking "where did the time go"? So i decided i should print out (yes, on paper) a calendar and get a visual idea of what my upcoming schedule was looking like so i could find some time to dedicate to my ever growing to-do list. I just got through the first week and immediately saw the problem. (See photo to the left) My social calendar is a little busy! I have something going on every night for the next two weeks except for 2 days! I love my friends and i'm not complaining but how can i ever start checking off my to-do list if i'm not home long enough to do anything? (Especially since sleep takes priority over everything.) Also, I have things i want to add to the list, like running 3 times a week instead of 2, a Yoga class, catching up on books outside of book club, and learn to knit (random!) but i can never find time! Then to make things worse, i start feeling so overwhelmed that when i do have a day to myself, all i want to do it loaf around and relax so i accomplish nothing. A cycle that just keeps getting worse. Something has got to change! I either need to become a highly motivated person that goes 100mph on very little sleep or i need to start planning out my days/weeks better and sometimes prioritizing not-so-fun things like cleaning the kitchen or putting shelves in the garage. Since, as i said before, sleep tends to take priority over everything then i'm going to go for option #2.

My game plan is to leave December just how it is and just do the best i can to get through the holiday chaos and then start fresh in January. Luckily this is our slow time at work so i can actually take a lunch break to do personal things and i can leave close to on time. I don't know why but I love the idea of New Year's resolutions. 2 years ago i made a few, blogged about them and my progress, and felt pretty successful and just overall good about myself but this year i made a list (late) and then didn't even think about them again so needless to say it was a big fat fail. So i'm going to be prepared for 2012! I've already started my list of resolutions and just need to flesh them out a little more. I'm super excited because I like goals. Nothing feels better than setting a challenging goal and then meeting or exceeding that goal. I'm a little bit of a dork that way.  Now, if only i could get that enthusiastic about my weight loss goal... >.<

So look for this hurdle to be on my upcoming resolutions list and if anyone has any advice for balancing work/personal-necessity/personal-fun/social activities, please share! The internet and I would greatly appreciate it!!

As a side note: For some reason i had to fight really hard not to start every sentence with "So" in this blog for some reason... i think my brain is fried and i need some of that oh-so-lovely sleep. Also, i drank some Sleepy Time tea but i really didn't think it would have any affect. Guess i was wrong.

Zzzzzzz
//Stacy//

2 comments:

Devon Alley said...

I can totally relate about the to-do list thing! I really suggest putting together a Kanban board (https://plus.google.com/111982026106273468406/posts/iTZMhBa1Qrd) somewhere you can see it. I know it seems ridiculous but it makes me feel better just having it there! Also, you may want to explore SARK's micromovement concept: http://lifehacker.com/182362/get-ahead-with-micromovements A great example: I've been overwhelmed by my thank-you cards for my wedding, right? Well now, I've micromovement-ed them -- I write 1 thank-you note a day. It only takes a minute or two and it's one small step towards my goal. Does it take longer? Yes, but it's more likely that I'll actually get it done, and it doesn't overwhelm me! I hope all of that helps!

Devon Alley said...

Ha, I didn't realize I hadn't updated my Blogger account in forever. That's funny. :-)