Wednesday, January 23, 2008

People can be so Immoral

So here I sit pissed...let me tell you why!

While at work today I get a call from a lady who says she is from the Yellow Pages Online Directory and wants to verify our information. I say OK. She reads off our info and there is one minor change but the rest is correct. She said I have to talk to an automated system to confirm the changes. She puts on the recording and talks over it! I ask her not to talk over the recording but she continues anyway saying she is summarizing what the recording is saying. The last question she says is to confirm the changes but I catch the recording saying netpagenow.com so I answer "no". She restarts the recording and tells me that it was just an ad. I tell her I don't feel comfortable saying yes to something that I think is signing me up for a service. She then tells me to just say "Yes-free service only" So I agree to that and when i say it she stops the machine from recording me after i only get out "yes..."!! (it made a beep when she stopped it) Then she says "A lot of people get confused about that ad at the end. Don't worry I couldn't sign you up for the service if you wanted to, I don't have that power." Then ends the call. I immediately go to the netpagenow.com website, call their customer service and tell them what happened. The rep looks up my number and says the lady DID sign me up for a website service!!! The rep said she removed me but can I really trust a company that KNOWINGLY gives their employees the power to 1. talk over the recording and 2. stop the recording whenever they want even though the system says to push #. I reported the problem to the BBB, which they already have an F rating with.
This makes me SOOOOO incredibly angry. It is one thing is I stupidly fall into a trap but to say you are with a different company, deny what is really happening when i ask right out, AND manipulate my answers to scam me, that is just wrong.

Does anyone else know a way to report a scam like this?

2 comments:

James said...

I dont really know too much about reporting fraud or bad business practices, but you could try the National Fraud Information Center (http://www.fraud.org/welmes.htm)as well.

Laura said...

You may also be able to get in touch with TBI for fraud.